Friday, July 11, 2008

A variety of things

Norah somehow has gotten into scissors. Not sure why or what prompted it. But she wanted to cut with my scissors. So I went and bought some kid ones and let her cut some paper. First of all, she calls them "sharps". Not sure why but it's so cute that I don't have the heart to correct her and I even call them "sharps" too around her cause i think it's so cute! I'm assuming she calls them that cause she's heard me tell her so much that my scissors are sharp and she can't play with them. But anyway, I've realized that she needs constant supervision when using them or else she'll all of a sudden be missing a chunk of hair or a piece from her clothes (not that she's that proficient with them yet - I usually have to help her to get a good cut and then she's quite fascinated). The other day she made a comment when she was playing with them "i cut hair" and then about cutting Jack's hair (his is almost all missing anyway from having combed out his cradle cap so much!!)


Norah is becoming a bit of mommy's helper. She now likes to help me set the table. Here's a picture of how she sets it. I love how she puts the cutlery so neatly sideways at the edge! And all the stuff ends up right at the edge, but she has such a smile on her face as I hand her things one at a time to carry to the table. Too bad it won't stay a treat for her to help out with things like that!


The other day I gave Norah her snack to eat downstairs as she usually wants it. Well, no more will that happen when she has this particular food item. It was one of those pretzels and cheeze whiz handi-snacks. I got a phone call while she was in the middle of the snack and by the time I got off the phone (it was not a social call!) she has smeared the cheese whiz all over her legs like lotion. I didn't let her know that I thought it was kind of funny - she just heard how that's not allowed.

Some cute things Norah has said lately (cute, but not necessarily "good"!).

- this morning when I came downstairs dressed, she said "cute shirt mommy"

- then later when i accidentally spilled her snack out of the bowl and was picking it up, she said "good job putting back mommy" - nice to know she mimics the praise comments as well as the getting in trouble comments!

- this one is kinda cute but not necessarily one to be so proud of - i've heard her saying "oh my gosh" - i guess i've said that one too many times around her

Little Jack just melted my heart tonight! He's got such bad cradle cap that I've been oiling his head every night before bed. Well, tonight I decided to put a little hat on top of the oil. So he was lying all swaddled in his bed and I was rubbing oil on his head. I've realized he LOVES to have his head rubbed. He was starting to fuss a bit and as soon as I started rubbing, he calmed right down and was smiling up at me. I thought for sure he'd object to the hat, but nope, he was fine with that, too! So I gave him his soother to get him to go to sleep but he couldn't even keep it in his mouth cause he was so busy looking at me and smiling. Boy, I wished I had a camera cause it was just too cute for words even - him smiling all happy and content swaddled up tight in his blanket with a little toque on his head. But he went to sleep like a dream so hey, maybe i'll continue with the oil and hat even after his cradle cap is gone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great that you're writing all this down! Parenting is soooo challenging, but so fun too! I just couldn't imagine life without my girls! Glad to hear you're enjoying your kids so much.
Jackie K

Corinna said...

That Jack story is so sweet! Way to go, finding the baby stories, b/c I always find it easier to find things to say about Luke. Norah is, of course, way too cute for words as well. When Luke saw the picture of her cutting he said, "Is she making something for Jack?"