Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A bit of This and That

Another important Norah word that I thought of...sii-sis - meaning soother. We have no idea how that word ever got started since it sounds nothing like the real word...but it's cute anyway. She's only allowed to have it for sleeping and when she gets up in the morning or from her nap, she's supposed to put it on her dresser in her room. Yesterday morning when Nate got her up and told her to put the soother on the dresser, she said "sii-sis two minutes". So we gave in and let her have it for a couple more minutes...her request was just so cute!

Another word of hers, because she can't say "l's" is "bankie" for blankie. I didn't know just how precious these were to her (she's got 3 in her bed, but 2 are really special apparently). I really had to wash her bunny and I know not to ask her to do it cause she doesn't like when he gets washed (seeing him in the washing machine is the issue I think or parting with it). Anyway, so today after her nap I snuck upstairs and got her bunny, her blankies and Jack's bedding to wash. I wrapped her stuff up in Jack's so that she wouldn't see it and stuck it in the front-loading with a window washing machine. Well, she followed me into the laundry room and I had just started the washing machine and she saw a little corner of her blankie in there. She pointed and said "bankie" in such a sad voice and then her lower lip came out and she started to cry. It was so cute and yet so sad at the same time. She was so sad her bankie was in the washing machine. She seriously cried about it for about 10 minutes I think. Finally I gave in and let her watch a little movie and she calmed down. At least now we have a clean bunny and blankies again until the next traumatic time when they need washing.

Norah has liked books since she was very young (as if she's so old now!). She will often say "weed sto-wies". Well, I can't believe how much she takes in when a book is read to her. Though I guess when you re-read a book millions of times, some would start to sink in. She now sometimes "reads" her own stories. And she'll talk out loud and say some of the words that are on the page. It's really quite cute and amazing to me how she can memorize that. She'll be chattering away in a language I can't understand and all of a sudden a totally clear English word pops out and I know which page she's on. And now when I read to her, she is also often wanting to know what everything on the page is. So she'll point to each thing, sometimes several times, and say "wass dat?". And then you can tell she's storing it away in her brain cause she'll repeat it and next time she'll know what it is. Or sometimes, she'll point at each thing and tell me what it is. I find it so amazing the stage she is at with learning and grasping stuff and how much she understands and has in her little brain.

And now something about Jack since he seems to be getting a bit left out. But he's finally starting to get interesting! Unless you consider bi-weekly blowouts interesting (though for anyone who's interested, he had one 2 days in a row!!!). Anyway, he's really starting to like his little playmat. He's long enough that he can bat at the toys hanging by his head and kick the ball at his feet. This morning he was really going at it with a smile on his face. He's such a cute little boy. This evening when I put him to bed, he was so calmly lying there looking up at me and it was so precious. Wish I could stamp some of those pictures on my brain cause even if I did have a camera there, it doesn't always do it justice.

1 comment:

Corinna said...

Great stories Heather, way to go journalling all of this. You can sure see your love for your kids come out in all this! It's beautiful!