Friday, June 20, 2008

Kind Strangers

Well, I've now fully realized and accepted that Jack is not a real portable evening baby...and that he for sure doesn't do well shopping. Last night I took him grocery shopping wondering if he was different now than he was a couple of weeks ago with shopping...he's not. I left right after I had fed him so I knew he wasn't hungry, but he cried/screamed almost the whole time I was in Superstore. By the time I got to bagging my groceries, I had the sympathy of several strangers around. I kept having to alternate between bagging a few groceries and then putting and trying to keep the soother in his mouth. The lady behind me in line offered to, and did, hold his soother in for me while I quickly bagged as much as I could. In the meantime this really nice older couple was walking by and looking at me (he's not the quietest cryer so I think almost everyone in the checkout area heard him cause he was real worked up and mad by this point). The lady came over and helped me bag the rest of my groceries so I could get out of there. And then just when I put the last of my groceries in the cart, the lady from the customer service desk came over and asked if there was something she could help me with. I told her I was thankfully done and leaving. I was so thankful for the help of these kind strangers cause I honestly have very little tolerance for crying and my stress level continues to rise as the crying continues. Not sure if they felt sorry for me or just wanted me out of there fast, too so they didn't have to listen to it anymore! In any case, little Jack will not be making trips to the grocery store anymore for quite awhile...that's OK though - just the way his little body and mind are wired.

2 comments:

Rose said...

The shopping scenario you described is even more stressful with my 3-year old when she throws a tantrum right in the store and does not quit screaming as if I am torturing her or something...

Anonymous said...

i enjoy your blog heather. You are sure thriving in motherhood. Oh yes, did I mention that your Norah is the most beautiful little person I have ever seen?!!

Keep it up! i'm taking notes!